Friday, March 5, 2010

A Serious Man

A SERIOUS MAN (Nominations: 2)

I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed a movie when I could not name a single actor on screen throughout the duration of the film. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I even saw a movie where that occurred. Nevertheless, I was amused by this film, although, as much as I like the Coen brothers and have ever been impressed with their work, I am not sure this film deserved a Best Picture nomination. It is good, but certainly not the best we have seen from the Coen brothers.

The main character, Larry Gopnik, is basically going through a mid life crisis aided by his ready-to-divorce-him wife, pot smoking son, and nose-job-desiring daughter. To deal with his personal issues, Gopnik visits three rabbis, seeking guidance. The story is dark but funny, a common trait in scripts from the Coen brothers. Perhaps some of the humor was lost on me without much foreknowledge of Jewish culture as that plays a major role in the film. Still though, I think I was able to follow the story just fine, and really, I was amused just not necessarily impressed.

The Coen brothers also received a nomination for their original screenplay. Like Tarantino, the Coens are often on the short list of potential nominees prior to their films even being released. They just have a reputation for quality scripts, and rightly so. Perhaps the screenplay nomination is deserved. The script is witty and real, but I do not think the brothers have much of a shot at actually winning. Unusual as it may be, the Coen brothers are not even the second choice with this year’s nominees. Tarantino will likely take the award for Inglorious Basterds, but then again, The Hurt Locker might just sweep everything and take this one too. Either way, the Coens and their cast are just happy to have their own table at the ceremony. I would like to make it clear though that I eagerly await the Coen brothers’ next endeavor, the True Grit remake, and also that eventually, A Serious Man will join its brethren in my collection of their films. I liked it. I just did not love it. La’chaim!

PREDICTED WINS: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment