Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar AFTERMATH

Well, I do not have much to say. Many of the awards went as predicted. I will not hide my disappointment. I was really hoping for an upset for Best Picture, even if it was not Avatar taking the glory. I would not have been upset to see Inglourious Basterds or Up in the Air sneak in. Still, I expected The Hurt Locker to win, and it did. That is that.

However, I cannot let this year’s award season end without expressing my surprise and utter disapproval of the screenplay winners. The Hurt Locker is a great film, but the script for Inglourious Basterds is superb. In addition, The Hurt Locker writer, Mark Boal,is being sued over the script because a soldier he spent time with over in Iraq claims the lead character is based on him. He did not even have the rights to write the story and it is by no means a work of his imagination. Tarantino’s Basterds are!

Then there is Precious taking the Adapted Screenplay award. It is not that I am such a fan of Up in the Air, though it is very entertaining, but it is that I am so against the screenplay for Precious. It was a good movie, but it was half voice over with Gabby Sidibe reading from the novel. That is not an “Oscar” screenplay!

Aside from that, I was not too upset. The Oscars are what they are. I will still be watching next year.

2 comments:

  1. Oscar... Oh Oscar, why do you hate great movies? Avatar. Wow. Hurt Locker for Best Picture? Who can take Oscar seriously anymore? He is like a Nightmare sequel.

    I now hate the Oscars like I hated repeats of LOST Season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nightmare on Elm Street 2 was pretty good. It still had scary Freddy before he became a stand-up comic.

    ReplyDelete