Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

PRECIOUS(Nominations: 6)

Precious surprised me, and in my opinion does not deserve all the nominations it received. To be clear though, this is a very good movie. Let me start with the good. When I say that Precious surprised me, I mean that in a good way. I was not looking forward to the film, mainly because of the content. If not for the nomination for Best Picture, I would likely never have seen this film. That being said, it is a great film. If you know the story, you know how powerful it must be. Even a poorly made film about a sixteen year old pregnant girl living with an overly abusive mother would be compelling. This is not a poorly made film.

As has been stated with previous awards, Mo’Nique is fantastic as the abusive mother. I’ve never been a fan of her comedy, but this role is so far from her usual character, she is hardly recognizable. Her scenes are the ones that stick with the viewer long after the credits have rolled. Mo’Nique is the clear frontrunner for Best Supporting Actress. The biggest barrier to her winning would be that the character is cliché to a point. We have seen the abusive parent role so many times over the years. Her version is different though. As a viewer, you do not necessarily sympathize with her, but you do eventually understand her wrath even as you loathe her.

Now, as I said, I do not agree with all of the nominations for this film. Best Picture? Ok, I get that. It is one of the ten best films of the year even though it is the only one on the list that I am likely never to watch a second time. I simply do not need to see the abuse again to remember it. Best Supporting Actress for Mo’Nique? Absolutely, this one is deserved. Now the rest: Best Director, Best Actress, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Film Editing?

I’ll feel bad later about saying this, but I was just not that impressed with the way the film flowed, which reflects poorly on the director and the editor. Apparently, I am in the minority here considering the nominations, but I did not like the transitions. The film felt choppy. The screenplay is not bad, but it does utilize a ton of voiceover, something many novel adaptations do, but generally does not impress me. Finally, for Gabourey Sidibe as the title character, I am impressed that she has received the nominations because this was her first role. That being the case, her work is solid in the film, but did not necessarily standout as I watched. She plays the role subtly, very quietly for the most part with a few out bursts. She is overshadowed by Mo’Nique in all of their scenes together and actually by Mariah Carey, Lenny Kravitz, and Paula Patton too. Sidibe is good, but much of the ensemble is better.

To be clear, this film is very good. My objections to the nominations are not to say that those particular parts of the film are bad, but just not in the top five best of the year. Precious deserves recognition, and so long as you do not have too weak of a stomach for abuse, is very worth seeing. As for its chances at the Oscars, the whole cast and crew will celebrate Mo’Nique’s trophy for Supporting Actress but nothing more.

PREDICTED WINS: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment