Monday, February 15, 2010

Movies Are Important

Well, my wife has shared her view on a few of the nominees for Best Picture this year, so I feel obligated to add my own opinions to the discussion. As she said, the fans of the awards ceremonies have double the nominees for which to route this year. Though the number may have increased, the real competition is very much the same as always. Two films are fighting for the coveted prize while the other eight are just happy to be in the same company. I admit, I have yet to see all of the nominees, so to say that only two are really in competition is not based solely on my own opinion of the movies, but also my knowledge of the given awards so far. I will follow with my thoughts on each of the 10 nominees for Best Picture in order of when I saw them. Hopefully, I will have seen them all by the big night.

UP IN THE AIR (Nominations: 6)

I found this film to be quite amusing. I know, watching a movie that revolves around people being fired should not be funny, but it is, and intentionally so at times. As good as this film is, I do not see it winning the Best Picture category. However, it is a showcase of acting talent, specifically for George Clooney, smug as he may be. Anna Kendrick is perhaps more impressive though as a young business woman trying to make firing people more efficient through digital means. The film is relevant today, which does put its long-term appeal in jeopardy. Then again, the awards are now, so now is what matters. I would love to see Kendrick take home a Supporting Actress statue, but she is far from the front runner. Clooney has a chance at a win, but will likely fall victim to Jeff Bridges. And while the film does deserve the Best Picture nomination and perhaps the Director nomination, I do not expect a victory save for the Screenplay.

PREDICTED WINS: 1

3 comments:

  1. Avatar - Best Picture
    James Cameron - Best Director (Just ask him)

    The rest of the evening is about the dresses... I mean, let's be honest. It is really what gets the most press after it is all over. Who looked fat in their dress. Who dressed like an animal? Who was possibly drunk during a speech... you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avatar certainly has a chance at both Best Picture and Director, but I think the question everyone really wants answered is why they even nominated other animated films in the Best Animated Feature category when UP made the top 10 list for Best [Overall] Film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UP is a shoe-in for the Best Animated Feature... and I would not be sad if the world cracked open and UP won for Best Picture. Man-tears. Avatar was amazing and I hope it wins every category it is nominated for, and some that it wasn't nominated for, like Best Foreign film... it was seen around the world wasn't it... then it is foreign. Shhhhhh... you smell something? Avatar victory!

    ReplyDelete