Friday, February 19, 2010

District 9

DISTRICT 9 (Nominations: 4)

This was the shocker pick of the list. I cannot claim to have foreseen District 9 making the cut, but it was on my long list of potentials. So, it is not a complete surprise, having already had nominations for its screenplay at various ceremonies. However, had I not known of its other nominations, I would have been very surprised at its inclusion in the Best Picture category.

That being said, District 9 is a very good movie, unique, and powerful at times. It paints the human fear of the different and the unknown with an often graphic brush. The characters are dynamic and easy to get behind, but the plot is relatively austere. From the opening scenes, most viewers can guess where the film will take them, but the ride to the end is enjoyable. It is a good movie, but perhaps not one of my ten favorites of the year. I would have preferred Star Trek making an unexpected appearance to District 9, but alas, I do not get a vote.

District 9 has a small chance at taking home a trophy. Unfortunately, it is up against Avatar in the Visual Effects, Film Editing, and Best Picture categories (The Hurt Locker also in the latter two). Its only real shot at a win is with its Adapted Screenplay, however, Up in the Air, Precious, and An Education are all present in that category, along with the relatively unknown In the Loop. My guess is this award goes to Precious or Up in the Air, and District 9 fans will have to be content with their film just being part of the festivities.

PREDICTED WINS: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment