Thursday, February 11, 2010

Award Season & Movie Reviews

With the Academy Awards just around the corner it is time Scott and I get out and about and see some movies. Crazy thing is this year my parents have seen more of the nominees than I have! This year the number we have to see has doubled! There are now 10 best picture nominees.

Here are my thoughts on the nominees we have seen so far . . .

Up in the Air
This was the first nominated movie that we watched. I really enjoyed it and would give it two thumbs up. Mr. George Clooney gave a great performance and is well deserving of the best actor nomination. The movie is definitely a drama, however, I found myself laughing quite often. It is a modern tale of the modern traveling businessman. All of the characters are great and very human. The film ends in a bit of a predictable way, a bit sad, but good at the same time. Overall a great movie.

Avatar
We went to see this movie on a random Monday in the middle of the afternoon and it was sold out! This film has made a ton of money, the most money ever, beating out Cameron's' last movie Titanic. Oooh that makes me think of an interesting question, if those movies were going head to head, which would win best picture? That is a difficult question. Both films are quite epic. Avatar is embarking on a new horizon of film and it is quite beautiful cinema. Scott's vote is Avatar, but I am not too sure. I love the story of Titanic.

Avatar is deserving of a best picture win. It has meaning and depth. The characters are dynamic and I even forgot that they were big and blue. The only complaint I guess I have is that it was a bit long. It is never a good sign if you look at your watch during a film. I was surprised that the majority of the film was not action packed. Overall the film was good and I would not be surprised if it took home the statue.

District 9
I wasn't intending to watch District 9, but Matt gave it to Scott for Christmas. We also had no idea that it would be nominated, although I am sure Scott would say that he knew it was a possibility.This movie was hard to pull away from. At times I didn't want to watch but just could not stop. It was a bit bizarre and quite a bit different in how it was filmed. It is made to look like a documentary. The main character I despised at first and then as he grew empathy toward the aliens I grew to like him. There are a number of messages that can be taken away from the story: human rights violations, the experience of refugees, and racism. Although it was a bit bloody in a strange way, I would recommend it.

The Blind Side
The movie was great and a wonderful surprise. I knew in the back of my mind that it must be good with Sandra Bullock winning so many awards. She was really at the heart of the film. The movie was warm, uplifting and overall very enjoyable.

UP
I really liked this movie, but I must admit that I had a pile of tissues next to me when it was over.

*It is going to be a difficult pick for best picture of the year. They are all so different and good in their own ways. I am excited to see the next batch of nominees, however, I am afraid it will make my vote even more difficult to cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment